Ah, that awkward fourth trimester: when you’ve had the baby, but your pre-pregnancy clothes don’t quite fit yet and if you’re nursing, you find that you’re either lifting your shirt every one-to-three hours, or you’ve succumbed to laying around topless, because, well, supply and demand.
Eventually there comes a time when you’re beginning to feel more yourself and you’re ready to get back out in the real world with baby, but you still need easy access to baby’s main food source. Here are my favourite nursing friendly finds!
1. High-Waisted Shaping Leggings These are the leggings I never knew I needed with my first two babies, and I’m SO happy I found them this time around. The high-waist functions both to offer extra coverage when you’re lifting your shirt to nurse, but it is also a 360º compression panel to aid in muscle repair and uterus alignment after birth. The legs offer more stretch for comfort, with some shaping on the rear too. I highly recommend these- they are a great staple for your post baby essentials! You can find them at Seraphine.
2. Cotton Lounge Set Ok, this is more for that first week or two at home, getting used to baby’s routine and demands, and you have no plans or need to leave your house. When nothing fits and won’t fit for a few weeks, it’s still nice to treat yourself to a new piece of clothing in your current post-baby size, especially if it’s something cozy and comfortable. This comes as a set from H&M, is so soft and comfortable, and the top is slightly cropped- which makes it easy and comfortable for lifting to nurse. Major bonus: the shorts have pockets which you will find are SO useful for your phone or burp clothes, or anything else you need to transport from one room to another while your hands are full carrying baby! (Seriously, pockets become such a necessity when you’re at home and moving around with baby!)
3. Fitted Nursing Dress – I tend to live in dresses in the warmer months. However its not often you find a dress that provides enough coverage for your nursing bra, as well as boob-access without lifting the whole dress from the hem. This dress from Amazon is made specifically with a mid panel below the bust that you can lift for nursing. There is a built-in cross body bra to pull to the side that offers some additional support and coverage as well. This long sleeve style is great to transition from spring all the way into fall, depending on how you style it. It also comes in 5 colors! I got mine from Amazon UK, and here is a similar style from Amazon.com
4. A-line/Skater Style Dress – This is another great, versatile dress from Amazon UK. It’s long sleeve, and with a flattering A-line shape, its very forgiving on a post-baby body! This also has a discrete panel below the bust to lift for nursing. It’s lightweight, priced right, and comes in 21 colors/patterns. Here’s a similar style from Amazon.com.
5. Nursing Sweatshirt- This has been a staple in my closet for Nursing/pregnancy/neither. I’ve had this piece since after my 2nd birth, and it is SO good, I wore it post nursing and throughout my next pregnancy. The zippers on either side offer easy access to nurse, but zipped all the way up offer a fun and flattering high-neck detail. It’s available on both Amazon UK, and Amazon.com . It comes in 11 colors, but pay close attention to the size chart and size up! I normally wear a UK 8 and sized up two sized to a 12.
All of these pieces a so versatile and wearable long after you’re done nursing!